How do you know that self-organization is working? The Bern Chapter of Scrum Breakfast Club looked into this questions, and identified the following warning signs (which I have taken the liberty of translating).
- The team reports to the Scrum Master at the Daily Scrum
- People wait for instructions from the Scrum Master
- Team members don't hold each other responsible [for their commitments]
- The same impediment comes up twice
- "That's the way it is" => resignation
- "I" instead of "We"
- Flip charts are lonely
- Culture of conflict-avoidance
- Decisions processes are unclear, nor are they discussed
- Personal goals are more important than team goals
To this list I would add my a couple of my favorites:
- you don't see a triangle on the task board (not working according prioritization of stories)
- after the daily Scrum, people return directly to their desks (no collaboration)
- there are a least as many stories in progress as team members (no pairing)
P.S. You can join the discussion or solve your own challenges at a future event! And here is the original list (in German).